With the festive season fast approaching everyone is up and about shopping for their near and dear ones; some rely on their holistic board coupons while others dig into year-long savings but shopping everyone does. There are a few unlucky ones though who cannot tear themselves from work to indulge in retail therapy. Here is good news for such workaholics – just indulge in online shopping and be guilt free this holiday season.
The advantage of online shopping is that you can shop from anywhere – your desk at work, on the bus during the commute and even while watching a movie from your smartphones, tablets, and laptops. The only hitch to this otherwise useful indulgence is online security and safety. With hackers becoming smarter by the day it is crucial that every individual who shops online learns to do so in a safe and secure manner.
Here are 6 tips to stay safe online this season
- Do not share your password with anyone. You must keep it personal and protect it at all times.
- Do not keep the same password for all your accounts as it is easier to hack such passwords. Also, ensure that you change your password periodically.
- Always seek the services of a trusted internet service provider. Enable the firewall on your devices and your router and install the latest antivirus software in your system.
- Do not neglect the “update your software” message that keeps popping on your screen every once in awhile because that is what will protect your device from the latest attacks and threats. The latest update in software is to counter the prevailing threats to online security so don’t neglect it.
- Be wary of the website from which you shop. Always look for the” https” before the website to ensure it is safe to proceed.
- Do not give out personal information anywhere as that will open the window to hackers to attack you.
With a little bit of planning and some prudence, you can make online shopping not only secure but also fun.